Everybody who’s ever followed a weight training routine has at some point hit the Dreaded Workout Plateau.
Your body is most likely used to doing the same thing week in and week out, which means its time for a change.
Here are 8 ways to push through that plateau and start seeing those gains you’ve been looking for:
1. Incorporate Drop Sets into your workout: A drop set is where you extend your set after failure by lowering the weight you are using to a lower number and resume lifting. Once you hit failure again, you lower the weight again. This repeats until you get the desired number of reps you want.
2. Start using Supersets: Supersets is taking two exercises and doing them back to back without rest. They can be for the same muscle group or opposing muscle groups, like biceps and triceps. This will help increase the intensity of your workout.
3. Get a Workout Partner: A consistent workout partner will not only be a motivator and keep you accountable, they will be able to spot you with those last few reps to promote growth.
4. Change your Rep Range: Are you always doing 3 sets of 10 reps? Trying changing to 4 sets of 6-8 reps or try the 10×10 method.
5. Rest Time: Do you ever find yourself chatting and allowing yourself too much of a rest between sets? Aim for 60-90 seconds rest between sets
6. Change Exercises: If you’re doing the same exercises every time you lift, start thinking outside the box. Try different variations of lifts, like the Clean and Press instead of Seated Press and Front Squats instead of Back Squats.
7. Recovery: There’s a chance you may be over training in the gym. Give yourself 3 or four days of and then get back to it. That just might be what your body needs!
8. EAT: If you’re lifting heavy but not eating enough, you’re not going to see the gains that you want. Increase your food intake by 50% for the next few weeks.
Remember to be patient, Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither is your physique.
Have you ever hit a workout plateau?
What did you do to get past it?